Helping Midland District Health Boards uphold the highest standards of healthcare
Internal auditing provides insight into the culture, policies and procedures of an organisation and aids board and management oversight by verifying internal controls such as operating effectiveness, risk mitigation controls, and compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
HealthShare’s regional Internal Audit service provides independent assurance and consulting services to support and monitor Midland District Health Boards (DHBs) risk management, internal control and governance processes. Its work is informed by the Regional Internal Audit Service Charter.
Internal Audit assists DHB management and staff by developing recommendations for improvement or enhancement. These might include:
- the efficiency and effectiveness of a department’s operations and administrative activities, including service delivery procedures;
- protection and overall management of medical equipment and other assets;
- supplier contract management and monitoring;
- the provision, accuracy and usefulness of financial, revenue, contract and other information;
- health and safety management systems;
- optimising the use made of computer systems available within the organisation; and
- security and access to the organisation’s information systems.
The types of risk and audit activity the service aims to cover within each DHB’s annual internal audit plan, as follows:
- compliance and assurance;
- corporate and social responsibility;
- ethics and business conduct;
- information technology effectiveness;
- operational and clinical effectiveness;
- project risk;
- quality and performance improvement; and
- security and technology.
The Midland DHBs' internal audit plans are flexible and agile in order to cater for urgent issues or significant emerging risks.