Ensuring world-best practice in trauma care across the Midland region
Trauma has a major impact on Midland communities. More than 7,200 patients are admitted to Midland hospitals each year as a result of trauma. The impact on patients and families is enormous and trauma-related hospital treatment alone costs over $56 million in the Midland region each year.
The Midland Trauma System has been formally recognised as a Level 1 Trauma Centre - the first in New Zealand. Click on this link to read the full article.
The Midland Trauma System is a network of specialised, clinical personnel committed to ensuring the application of best practice in trauma care across the Midland region.
Clinical staff members perform clinical risk assessment and mitigation, collect trauma data, and facilitate local trauma committees to enable quality improvement initiatives that optimise patient outcomes and increase system efficiency.
The hub group based at Waikato District Health Board manages the regional and national trauma database; develops and manages clinical guidelines and transfer protocols; identifies and actions system change, and supports the activities of Midland Trauma System clinicians and the Midland Trauma Research Centre. Midland Trauma Systemmembersalsocontribute to national and international bodies engaged in trauma quality improvement and resource planning.
The Midland community receives the highest quality trauma care.
- Patients first
- Ensuring the highest quality trauma care
- Focused on patient needs
- Promoting collaboration between all trauma care providers
- To enable the provision of the highest quality trauma care focused on the needs of patients
- To improve patients’ journeys by encouraging collaboration between all trauma care providers
- To develop a trauma quality improvement programme based on trauma registry data
- To ensure that stakeholders are informed of Midland Trauma System activities and progress
- To ensure adequate resourcing and sustainability of the Midland Trauma System
- Waikato Hospital achieves Level 1 Trauma Verification - a first for New Zealand
- Midland Trauma Symposium - event website
- Major Trauma Network
Documents and resources
- New Zealand Major Trauma Registry & National Clinical Network Annual Report 2016-2017
- “After the crash”, New Zealand Listener, 9-15 December 2017
- Midland Trauma Guidelines
- Overall Trauma infographic poster
- Urban Rural Trauma (All) infographic poster
- Older Persons Trauma infographic poster
- Childhood Trauma infographic poster